Talented architect Mary Elizabeth Jane Colter designed many buildings here, including the 1905 curio shop Hopi House, Bright Angel Lodge (1935), Lookout Studio (1914), Hermits Rest on West Rim Drive (1914), Phantom Ranch at Bright Angel Creek (1922), and the Desert View Watchtower (1932). Verkamp's Curios, the Canyon's oldest continuously operated store, was constructed in 1906.
Kolb Studio, built by photographers Ellsworth and Emery Kolb in 1904, has changing exhibits about the Kolbs. Ellsworth and Emery Kolb were the first to film a Grand Canyon river run. They opened their photographic studio at the head of Bright Angel Trail in 1904. Emery Kolb continued selling curios and photos of mule riders descending Bright Angel Trail until his death in 1976. Also revived is the historic, steam-powered Grand Canyon Railway, which puffs into the Village daily in summer.
The Inner Canyon
Within the Canyon, the Colorado River drops 2,215 feet while being channeled into ever-narrower paths. It makes for a raging river that only a hearty and experienced few can negotiate. A few whitewater river trips (generally offered April to October) start at Phantom Ranch, although Lees Ferry is the most frequent starting point. A 5-hour river float and picnic is offered as part of a 12-hour tour leaving from Grand Canyon Village.